Sunday, January 27, 2019

Fifteen Promises of the Rosary~The Fourth Promise

     The fourth promise to those who pray the Rosary is that this devotion will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God it will withdraw people from the love of things of this world and its vanities and it will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
     This morning I was watching some beautiful white tailed deer grazing and drinking. They were intensely tranquil and completely focused on nourishing themselves. When they heard my camera click they panicked and scattered into the woods. 
     In prayer, when my focus is on the mysteries of the Rosary, my soul is being nourished by the virtues of Jesus and Mary. My thoughts and actions are more likely to be directed by what Our Heavenly Creator has willed for me in His perfect design for my life. I am not saying that there is no value to spontaneous, original prayer. It's just that upon review of my life journey, I clearly see how greatly my actions and thoughts have been influenced by the presence or absence of time spent praying the Holy Rosary.  Mentally incorporating the life of Jesus and Mary into my soul directly impacted my personal choices with regards to a desire for holiness. Charity towards my neighbor was more likely during times of Rosary contemplation. 
     Pursuit of material possessions and social acceptance leads to distracting, spiritual clatter. My heart is more at peace in the hearts of Jesus and Mary. Yet, I know that I still have a long way to go. Ave María~Praises be to Jesus forever!